Tomato, Bocconcini and Basil Salad
A quick and simple to make salad that is both colourful and wonderfully aromatic with basil and fresh tomatoes.
- Candied Balsamic for 'the Passionate Foodie'
- Basil Oil for 'the Passionate Foodie'
- Szechuan Pepper Salt 'the Passionate Foodie'
- 500gm ripe tomatoes
- 1 small red onion cut into fine half moon slices
- Bunch of basil
Slice tomatoes into cm thick slices (or thickness of your choice).
Use absorbent paper to dry the bocconcini and then slice into pieces the same thickness as the tomato.
To assemble your salad, use your favourite salad dish to arrange the sliced tomato, bocconcini, red onion and basil into layers, or in a more rustic fashion if you prefer.
Drizzle 'the Passionate Foodie' Candied Balsamic and 'the Passionate Foodie' Basil Oil over the salad..
Finally, season the salad with a pinch of 'the Passionate Foodie' Szechuan Pepper Salt.
- Cut tomatoes with a bread knife or serrated steak knife - this will stop them from squashing.
- Can be prepared and plated the day before, dress with Basil Oil and Candied Balsamic just prior to serving.
Alternative Serving Suggestions:
- Build the salad on top of turkish bread or sliced sour dough.
- Sprinkle some reshly shelled pistachios over the salad.